domingo, 21 de septiembre de 2014

Mystery Story

Hello students,

Today's lab session will be about writing mystery stories. Please read the following information before getting started.

But ...

What is mystery?




Why do people like it?

"What people enjoy about a mystery is the intellectual challenge. A mystery often presents a problem, (most specifically a crime or a specific ill against a character or community) at the beginning and then offers clues that the reader  can put together in order to hypothesize about a resolution."
"For myself I like to read a mystery for a couple of reasons, one is that they usually involve clues that you have to put together like a puzzle. Another reason is that most good mysteries allow you to "get away" from the real world for a short time!"
 taken from http://www.enotes.com/homework-help/why-do-people-like-read-mysteries
The unknown plays an important role in every mystery story. Who did it? What was that strange noise at night? Will the detective find the gun? Who (or what) has been pursuing our hero so relentlessly—and why?   
As you might guess, mystery writers know the answers to such questions before they begin writing. As they write, they drop clues to the reader.

An observant reader can sometimes figure out the mystery before finishing the story.
In fact, if the ending is a complete surprise, the writer has not done a good job! After finishing a mystery, the reader should be able to go back through the story and find clues that hinted at the solution.

Relentlessly: without stopping.

So as not to confuse these genres, have a look at this table. Mainly focus your attention in the Msytery boxes after you realise the difference among Mystery, Horror and Suspense.

Taken from:http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/6-secrets-to-creating-and-sustaining-suspense

Now read the following beginning of a mystery story.




Now think about how you would solve the mystery. Remember to give the reader a few hints along the way, so the ending isn’t a complete surprise.

Answer these questions before you actually write the rest of the story:

1. How did you probably  get to that island? Why do you think so?
2. Where did you meet Fred? 
3. Why were you with him ?
4. Why did he bonk you?
5. Which was your mom's idea about Power Rangers? 
6. What are you going to do there in the island?
 7.  Are you going to come back to your place?






Task 6



Work in small groups of 2-4, and  write a page with the rest of the story and give it an unexpected end.

When you are finished, make up a catchy title for your story.

Remember to share your work with your lab teacher. 


Due date:

*The crew members( Professor Maller´s): Next thursday up to 11 am. Secretary´s office (Box)
*Glorious section: ( Professor Benavides´s): Thursday 25th up to 12 noon. Secretary´s office.



Are you a mystery lover?

If so, visit the following link and enjoy reading mystery novels: 

http://flavorwire.com/434548/50-essential-mystery-novels-that-everyone-should-read




After watching this video answer this question:

How would you feel in this forest? 

Write it in the comments box at the end of this entry.





21 comentarios:

  1. I am felt relaxed with the video. Nevertheless, the place showed invited to think misterious things.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. First of all, If I were in this forest I think that I would feel scared because of the darkness and the mist. Also, I would run in any direction looking for a way out of this place. I would feel really desperate and paranoid. This place looks very frightening and depressing for me.
    Belén J. Flores Caro

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I felt something like depression and homesickness, but in certain parts of the song I felt happiness. It remembered me when I was a little girl and I played in a forest near my house with my father

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I think I'd have very mixed feelings. I really like the landscape of the forest, with all the mist and the humidity that you can see in the pictures. But I'm a very coward person so I'd probably had a heart attack at the sight of anything.
    If it's during daylight I wouldn't be so scared maybe with someone, if I found a vampire I'd be alright. The forest gives me a lot of feelings like full moon and misterious creatures that are not necesarily bad.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Firstly, the melody tries to put you with the creep, but I like this kind of things, so probably I would go deeper into the fog.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. As a man who is really fond of forests, it looks -at least for me- quite inviting. Just like a man who only wants peace, I would walk by the cover and warmth of darkness between the trees, feeling relaxed as I listen to the sound of the leaves in the wind.
    Nicolas Ibaceta

    ResponderEliminar
  7. If iI were in that forest, I'll run back to my house, because the forest it's very scary.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. With the music of the video I felt some curious things of life and misterous things that could occur in the forest when your are alone and lost. I also think that the music give you desperation and hopelessness in this case.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I am Mrs Maller. Sorry, but who are you? Are you from the Crew?

      Eliminar
  9. In my opinion, this video is creepy enough in order to make you feels fear. Indeed, the song sounds like a tragedy, which was played through musical notes. To continue with, if I had the opportunity to be there, I would be running away as a frightened chicken because of the mystery that the enviroment gave me. However, I had a mixture of feelings that were produced as result of the landscape, which is absolutely fascinating because of the mist and the forest.

    ResponderEliminar
  10. I felt really scared but just at the beginning. The images are very creepy sometimes, but it's because I don't like darkness and the mist.
    I think immediately in monsters or mythological beings, waiting in the deep of forest.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I loved the song. At the beggining it was a little bit scary, but then it turned lovely. I felt really touched by the story, like if it had a hidden message without words.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. I like the song. The video and the song didn't scare me at all. Actually, I used to listen this kind of music and I think that is relaxing.

    ResponderEliminar